Tim Macpherson looks at latest version of the Echo Map UHD series originally launched in 2019…
Garmin have long been market leaders in developing new marine electronics products for anglers. My first fish-finder was a Garmin and I’ve used many different units over the years on small boats and large. The technology has changed and improved dramatically in the last few years with faster processing, easier to use more intuitive user-friendly controls and sharper sonar. The chart technology has also improved beyond recognition and now, of course, Garmin owns Navionics the market leading chart software which has helped standardise the way anglers “see” the areas sea bed they ware fishing over.
So, what’s so good about the latest UHD?
The first thing is they are a very simple unit to operate and has a fresh look about it and new UI graphics which increases functionality and configurability. Intuitive menu structure makes it easy to switch from one function to another – very often when fishing, time is at a premium and there are times I need to switch form one mode to another easily and quickly. The UHD2 touch screen technology speeds this up the data shown on the screen is clearly laid out and visually sharp.
Comes with preloaded charts
Garmin Navionics+ charts are pre-installed and the touchscreen has a quicker zooming and panning function allowing you to get yourself accurately positioned on you chosen mark as fast as possible so you don’t miss any vital fishing time. The built in WiFi connectivity allows sharing of sonar waypoints and routes with other ECHOPMAP Plotters. This gives excellent position accuracy with multiband GPS – especially in where signals are reflected or weak. The Charts pair with the ActiveCaptain® app on your smartphone for access to the OneChart™ feature and software updates. The chart plotter supports NMEA 2000® networks to connect your compatible autopilots, digital switching, music, and more to view all on one screen.
Hi Def Sonar
The UHD2 has crystal clear sonar imagery which, paired with a display which can be viewed in bright sunlight, means that you view of the water column is excellent. It shows clear sharp fish arches on traditional sonar and for ClearVü™ and SideVü™ scanning sonar with vivid colour palettes it gives clear high contrast views all around the boat – adding to your understanding of the area you are fishing in. And, of course the units support LiveScope™ system which is one of the most exciting innovations in marine electronics technology. Having used this at sea it’s possible to target shoals of mackerel, individual bass moving on the mark you are fishing on and even allows a view of a fish taking lures or baits.Trolling functions
If you use Force® Trolling Motor the Echomap UHD2 wirelessly connects to allow you to create and follow pre-set routes, navigate waypoints, control the speed and other functions. The Echomap UHD2 is the ideal tool for inshore angling – fits easily on boats from 3m upwards and is one of the easiest most intuitive chart plotters/Sonar devices available to anglers. The ECHOMAP UHD2 comes is 6’,7” or 9” touchscreen display.
Summary of features:
- Easy-to-use touchscreen with keyed-assist chart plotter with bright, sunlight-readable screens.
- See below your boat with support for Garmin traditional, ClearVü™ and SideVü™ scanning sonars1 with vivid colour palettes.
- Built-in Garmin Navionics+™ cartography for the U.K., Ireland, and the Netherlands with integrated Navionics® data which includes a 1-year subscription for daily updates, raster cartography and more.
- Built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity lets you wirelessly share sonar1, waypoints and routes with another ECHOMAP UHD2 chart plotter.
- Includes multi-band GPS, which utilises multiple frequencies for improved position accuracy, particularly in areas where signals are reflected or weak
- Supports wired NMEA 2000® network connectivity
- Pair with the free all-in-one ActiveCaptain® app on your compatible smartphone for access to the OneChart™ feature, software updates and more
- Compatible with LiveScope™ live scanning sonar1
- Wirelessly connects to your Force® Trolling Motor to create and follow routes, navigate to waypoints, control speed, check battery life and more
- ACTIVECAPTAIN®APP Built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity pairs with the free all-in-one mobile app for access to the OneChart™ feature, smart notifications2, software updates, Garmin QuickDraw Community data and more.
- Pairs with Fusion Audio Marine Stereo and Signature Series 3i Marine Coaxial speakers.
Echomap UHD2 comes in at: £829.99 for 6” £999.99 for 7” and £1169.99 for 9”
LiveScope sonar cannot be shared wirelessly between two ECHOMAP UHD2 chart plotters. Transducer sold separately.
Requires the ActiveCaptain app on your compatible smartphone paired to the ECHOMAP UHD2 6″, 7″ and 9″ chart plotters
Auto Guidance+ is for planning purposes only and does not replace safe navigation operations
For ore go to www.garmin.com